Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Matter of Honour: Face to Face with Jeffrey Archer!

He swept me off my feet. No, yanked me right off them. Jeffrey Archer came, spoke, conquered. A man of wit, wit, wit. Charm, charm, charm. And of course, substance. Excerpts from his speech at the Landmark bookstoe yesterday:

My favourite Indian author: Vikram Seth. The man seems able to do just about anything: paint pictures, play the violin, sing. I'm surprised he isn't opening the batting for India!

I don't paint pictures. I don't play the violin. I don't sing. I only write. And I am grateful.

I am very self-disciplined. I wake up at 5.30. I write from 6 to 8. Then I take a break, and write for 2 hours again. Another 2 hour break, then back to writing. You don't have to do what I do. Do what works for you.

God-given Gift. (on being asked what inspires him.)

If you're writing a short story, you have to know the ending before you write the first word, and then build up toward that ending. With my novels, I usually know where I'm going until about one-third of the way. By the time I'm there, I develop ideas about where the rest of the story is going.

I am not tech savvy. I write every single word with a felt pen, on paper. (Jeffrey Archer has written 17 novels, several short story collections and plays)

Check out his blog: http://jeffreyarchers.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Sanjay said...

missed attending this. nice insights into the mind of a writer. was great meeting with you at the attic too. keep blogging.:)